Grandparent Rights

In Louisiana family law,
the court can appoint a non parent, such as a grandparent and award custody of a child to that non parent.  While these cases are unusual, as the parents have the fundamental right to their child, a judge does have that option.  In an case where a grandparent might not be available and the Judge decides that the child needs to be placed with a person other than a parent, then a relative of the child may be awarded custody. 

Even though these cases are rare, Mr. Knight has successfully obtained grandparent/non parents custodial rights for a several clients.  A grandparent or non parent must first understand that they are not the court’s first option to place a child with.  However, if one or both parent are in jail or on drugs then it is possible to obtain custody rights for the grandparent or nonparent.

If you have a case where you are a grandparent or non parent and you need an attorney to advocate your case, please contact Knight Law Firm today.

Tell Us About Your Case

Get your initial consultation started today! Phones are answered 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
Back to Top of Page